The Armenian Church
Built, in 1772, on the site of the Armenian cemetery, this church houses a magnificent belfry - 6 bells, claimed to be the largest bells in Chennai.
The first anglican church in India, it was built in 1678-79 in Fort St.George . The original rectangular building was about 60 ft. by 90 ft. Its outer walls were 4 ft thick and its roof 2 ft. thick and bomb proof. It's treasures are the altar piece, a large painting of the last supper, a 1660 bible and silver plates.
This church is located on the southern end of Marina Beach. A rare church raised on the tomb of St. Thomas, an apostle of Christ, it has in its possession a small hand bone of Thomas and the head of a lance which brought him down. Renovated in the early 1970s, this Basilica draws huge crowds.There is a beautiful stained glass window at the basilica which portrays the story of St. Thomas and the central hall has 14 wooden plaques depicting scenes from the last days of Christ. In the cathedral is a 3ft. high statue of Virgin Mary which is believed to have been brought from Portugal in 1543.
C.S.I. Holy Cross Church
More than 120 years old, it was originally called the Perambur Railway Church, when it was under the railway authorities. It earlier had a predominantly Anglo-Indian congregation though now there are also families from other southern states.
Legand has it that Thomas, an apostle of Christ, preached atop the hill here. He is said to have been killed on this 300 ft. high mount. The paintings of 'The Holy Lady and The Child' and 'Our Lady of Expectations' exhibited in this church are believed to have been done by St. Thomas.
Called `The Queen of Scottish Churches in the East', the church has finely etched white Doric columns, black and white tiled marble roof, and a high, sky-blue dome of enviable beauty. On the inner surface of the dome, constellations of stars, as they can be viewed in Scotland, are painted realistically.
St. George's Cathedral
A striking piece of architecture, the St. George's Cathdral was built in 1815. It has a towering 45m spire and lonic columns. The highlight of this Cathedral is the graveyard just adjacent to it with its guard rail made up of war emblems - muskets, bayonets etc. - of the capture of Srirangapatnam in 1799.
Lying amidst the cultural and religious centre of Mylapore on St. Mary's Road, this 17th century church is said to have been the place where St. Thomas took rest and also served the people.
This church in Elliots Beach is in honour of Our Lady of Health, the Madonna of Velankanni. Smaller in scale than the original one at Velankanni (near Nagapattinam) the devoted believe in the miraculous curative powers of the Madonna.
Hidden behind the modern buildings on Triplicane High Road, this renowned place of worship for muslims, built in 1795, is a marvellous granite structure.
Thousand Lights Mosque
Close to the Anna flyover on Mount Road lies this mosque on 3 acres of land. Renovated a couple of times this century, it has two tall minarets and a separate place of worship for women.
The holy place for sikhs, Sri Guru Nanak Sat Sangh Sabha is remarkable for its serene ambience.
A striking contrast to the rock hewn temples of Tamilnadu is the Jain temple at T Nagar. The two-tiered, 70' high temple is built of lime-and-soapstone and marble giving it a dazzling appearance.
Another place of worship in T Nagar, though not as well known as its lotus-shaped counter part in Delhi. A place of solemnity, sobriety and peace.