Prasanna Chenna Kesava Temple is situated in the village of Somnathpur,
35 kms. from Mysore. It was constructed in 1268 A.D. by Soma Dandanayaka,
a minister in the court of the Hoysala king Narasimha III, in the typical
Hoysala style with star-shaped base, three shrines with towers.
The main idol of Kesava is missing, but the idols of Janardana and Venugopal can be seen in the northern & southern cells. There are a total of 64 cells in the pillared corridors.
There is an abundance of carvings on the outer walls, intricately carved rows of caparisoned elephants, charging horsemen and annapakshi, mythological birds and beasts. The interior is eaully abundantly adorned by beautifully sculpted images of gods, goddesses, life history of the Hoysala kings, scenes from the epics Ramayana, Mahabaratha and Bhagavatha.